Hurricane Tips for the Workplace
While most individuals are aware of safety at home during a hurricane, many overlook the importance of safety in the work place during a hurricane. Here are some preventative measures a business owner or employer can make to help ensure the safety of the property and staff.
If you live in an area that you know is prone to hurricanes or tropical storms it would be a good idea to install the proper roofing, doors, and windows. Have sandbag’s readily available to prevent flooding in the building. Keep all utilities such as water heaters on higher ground to avoid water damages. If possible try to turn off utilities prior to a hurricane making landfall.
Most business’ have files that contain important information such as documents, banks, suppliers, etc. It is important to have a system in which these documents are well protected. Backing up documents on to a different hard drive off site or even protecting paper documents with waterproof containers can save a lot of trouble after the storm passes.
- Battery operated radio or television
- Non-perishable three day food supply for you and your employees
- Three day supply of water for you and your employees (One gallon of water per person, per day)
- Coolers and containers for water and washing
- Blankets, pillows, cots, and chairs
- First Aid Kit and first aid manual
- Flashlights, batteries, light-sticks
- Tool kit (basic tools, gloves, etc.)
- Camera and film for documenting damages
- Whistle/signal flare to signal for help
- Tarps, plastic bags, duct tape
- Cleaning supplies, including mops, towels and garbage cans
- Smoke alarms and fire extinguishers
- Electric generator
- Gas for vehicles, generators and other equipment
- Cash, ATM cards, credit cards proper identification
- Emergency contact information such as the nearest hospital and police
We here at SERVPRO of Garden City/Hempstead strongly encourage all employers to go over these important tips as they can help protect employees in the event of a hurricane. It only takes a small amount of effort in properly preparing for a storm to save your company large amounts of damage!