Proactive Cleaning and Disinfecting for your Business
Need General Cleaning and Disinfecting for Your Business?
We have all become aware that no matter where we live, every community must practice social distancing, frequent hand washing, and proactive cleaning in our workplaces.
At SERVPRO of Garden City/Hempstead our "every day" is handling complex cleaning situations, including those where viruses and other pathogens are present.
We only work with hospital-grade, EPA-approved cleaning solutions. Our Certified Master Cleaning Technicians perform jobs every day where they may be confronted with bacteria, viruses, mold, and other pathogens. We know how to do this while keeping you and us safe.
You may wonder how our application techniques or products are different from what is available to the public.
- Commercial cleaning techniques are based upon years of scientific research to determine best practices. Concentrations of ingredients, the application process, temperature, and dwell times are studied for each situation. SERVPRO certified technicians know the formulas.
- Industrial-grade equipment provides a reliable distribution of cleaning agents
- Specific education establishes service standards and guidelines from the CDC, EPA, and OSHA/safety.
Invest in peace of mind. Call SERVPRO of Garden City/Hempstead today 516-620-4579.
Wishing You a Happy and Safe Halloween from SERVPRO of Garden City/Hempstead!
Wishing you and your family a happy and safe Halloween!
With a season full of tricks and treats, SERVPRO of Garden City/Hempstead wants to provide with fire safety tips to ensure a safe and fun Halloween. Halloween decorations are the first thing to ignite in over than 1,000 reported home fires each year. Whether you are trick or treating, throwing a party, or staying inside, decorations can be a lurking fire risk and it is important to be aware.
From the National Fire Protection Association, here are five Halloween fire safety tips:
- Use a battery-operated candle or glow stick in jack-o-lanterns.
- When choosing costumes, stay away from long trailing fabric.
- Teach young children to stay away from open flames, including jack-o-lanterns with candles in them.
- Keep all decorations away from open flames, especially cornstalks, dried flowers, and crepe paper.
- Provide young children with glow sticks or flashlights to carry with their costume.
- Remember to keep all exits clear of decorations so escape routes are not blocked. Also, make sure all smoke alarms are working properly.
Everyone one is entitled to a good scare on Halloween but let’s keep a house fire out of it. Don’t be haunted with fire damage. Follow these steps to enjoy your spooky season with tricks and treats.
And as always, if disaster strikes, SERVPRO of Garden City/Hempstead is always here for you. We can be reached 24/7 at 516-620-4579.
October is Fire Prevention Month: Know What to Do Until Help Arrives
Read these tips and call SERVPRO of Garden City/Hempstead if you have a fire damage
First Have an Evacuation Plan and make sure your family or employees are safe.
WHAT TO DO UNTIL HELP ARRIVES TO CLEAN THE DAMAGE
A fire can leave behind soot damage, smoke damage and a host of other problems. Ceilings, walls, woodwork, carpeting, and floors will often need a thorough professional cleaning.
If your home or business suffers a fire, it is important to take the appropriate steps to prevent further damage. The following tips may help reduce damage and increase chances of a successful restoration.
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpet.
- Keep hands clean. Soot on hands can further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place dry, colorfast towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer/refrigerator completely and prop doors open to help prevent odor.
- Wipe soot from chrome kitchen/bathroom faucets, trim and appliances, then protect these surfaces with a light coating of lubricant.
- If heat is off during the winter, pour RV antifreeze in sinks, toilet bowls, holding tanks and tubs to avoid freezing pipes and fixtures.
- Change HVAC filters; leave system off until a trained professional can check the system.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers to stop particles of soot from getting in or out of the HVAC system.
- Don't attempt to wash walls, painted surfaces, furniture or carpets. Instead call SERVPRO of Garden City/Hempstead.
- Do not attempt to clean electrical appliances before consulting authorized repair service.
- Do not consume any food or beverages that may have been stored close to fire, heat or water, as it may be contaminated.
- Do not turn on ceiling fans. Wiring may be wet or damaged and cause electrical shock.
- Don't send garments to the dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set in smoke odor.
It is important for you to work with professionals trained in fire damage restoration to clean your home or business properly. Our Service Team and Production Managers are fully trained to clean fire damaged properties. We also have professional grade equipment and cleaning supplies to successfully clean soot and smoke damage. We make it "Like it never even happened."
Call SERVPRO of Garden City/ Hempstead today 516-620-4579.
What If I Have Water Damage in my Home?
Contact SERVPRO of Garden City/Hempstead to Perform Water Damage Restoration in Your Home
A water leak in a confined space like a crawl space is a sign of a severe upcoming problem. The slightest amount of water in your crawl space should be investigated due to the significant consequences it may cause to your property. However, if you engage with professional restorers within 48 hours, we can mitigate the damage.
Why should I engage with professionals that fast?
Water and moisture continue ruining a home the longer they remain in it. Therefore, it is essential to contact SERVPRO of Garden City/Hempstead as soon as you can to perform water damage restoration in your home. Our team can use effective water restoration techniques to prevent additional damage.
How do I know there is water damage to my property?
Do not wait until you see mold under your carpet or smell a damp odor in your property. The following subtle indications should ring a concern.
- Increased monthly water bill
- Switch off all your faucets and listen if there are any sounds of running water.
- Check if your water meter is ticking over even after switching off all taps.
- Look for any overflows in or outside your property.
The faster you repair a leak, the less damage that can occur in your property. Materials like drywall and flooring can weaken if they remain exposed to water for lengthy periods. It can be challenging to locate the source of the moisture in confined areas.
At SERVPRO of Garden City/Hempstead, we have excellent equipment and tools that help us get access even into confined areas. We look out for structural hazards before we proceed with water damage mitigation and restoration.
How can you dry my home?
The drying process is essential in water damage restoration. We speed up the process by using our advanced equipment. We can use desiccant dehumidifiers to dry the area. The machine produces the driest air with low vapor pressure to increase the evaporation rate. Desiccant dehumidifiers are the most suitable drying equipment to use when the temperature in affected areas is below 60°F.
A water intrusion incident in your property can affect your family’s health and cause severe damage to your property. Contact SERVPRO of Garden City/Hempstead at (516) 620-4579 to restore your residence to the preloss state. We’re Faster To Any Size Disaster.
We're Hiring! Become Part of the SERVPRO of Garden City/Hempstead Team!
SERVPRO of Garden City/Hempstead is looking for an organized self-starter to manage our warehouse, equipment and vehicles.
Warehouse manager will perform a variety of duties that will include receiving and processing incoming contents, items, equipment and materials, as well as loading and unloading equipment and materials from trucks and warehouse.
Warehouse manager will also be responsible for maintenance of trucks, equipment and workplace. Warehouse manager will work closely with owners and upper management and be responsible for all warehouse operations.
The ideal candidate will have excellent organizational skills, including the ability to schedule and manage time efficiently, communications skills, and the ability to work calmly under pressure. Candidate must have the ability to lift 50-75 lbs and drive a 18 ft box truck and company vans (no CDL required). Must have a clean drivers license and be able to pass a background check.
Hourly rate depends upon experience ($16 -$18) + Overtime during busy seasons!
SERVPRO specializes in emergency water, fire, mold and biohazard/crime scene cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial properties.
Great opportunity to work with a great staff and even better management!
If interested, call (516) 620-4579 or email office@SERVPROgardencity.com
What Should You Do After a Fire?
The first and most important step to take after a fire is to make sure that you and your loved ones are safe. Should anyone feel at all ill, it is imperative that you seek medical attention.
The next step is having the Fire Marshall assess whether or not it is safe to be in or near the building in which the fire or smoke damage occurred. Once again, the top priority after a fire is to maintain safety through the entire restoration process. Electrical hazards are common occurrences after a fire and can be extremely dangerous. As well as possible electrical hazards, there are water hazards. The water used to put out the fire creates a prime location for slipping and falling.
As soon as the Fire Marshall declares the building safe then you, as well as your highly trained SERVPRO of Garden City/Hempstead professionals can begin restoration. We maintain the restore versus replace mentality to preserve the items that hold sentimental value, as well as saving you money! The following is a list of what to-do and not-to-do after a fire.
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls, and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery, and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change the HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting SERVPRO of Garden City/Hempstead.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat, or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat, or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if the ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may leave a smoke odor.
SERVPRO of Garden City/Hempstead offers the following services after a fire to make your house a home again.
Contents Restoration: We can dry clean, wet clean, spray and wipe, foam clean, abrasive clean, or immerse clean after we pretest your belongings to see what can be restored to pre-fire conditions.
Move-Outs/Pack-Outs: We offer an organized and efficient move out to provide you with a quicker remodeling process as well as protecting items from further damage.
Electronic Cleanup: We want to protect you from the possibility of hazardous electronics by offering restoration to remove residue and prevent further damage.
Document / Photograph Drying: We can air dry, dehumidify, freeze-dry, vacuum freeze-dry, or vacuum thermal dry your documents to prevent their destruction. We understand that documents are often irreplaceable and we want to provide you with their swift restoration.
Call SERVPRO of Garden City/Hempstead if you need assistance after a fire (516) 620-4579
Why Should I Use a Professional Restoration Company After a Flood?
Our Knowledgeable SERVPRO Team Oversees Your Project from Start to Finish
Water damage in your home is a serious issue. No matter how diligent you are during your cleanup, it can still be challenging without proper knowledge, professional equipment, and products. Floodwater is black water (contaminated), making it even more challenging to remove safely. The last thing a property owner wants is for potentially-dangerous black water to remain behind after a flood, potentially causing long term issues like strong odors and mold growth. Professionals like our SERVPRO team take care of your disaster situation, helping to alleviate some of your stress.
What Should I Expect from a Professional Restoration Company?
SERVPRO Uses Knowledgeable Restoration Specialists for Flood Cleanup
Our experienced water damage technicians have the knowledge and expertise to create an individualized cleanup plan for your home based on your home's amount of damage and structure. Our team members have the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification, making them well-equipped to handle your unique situation. For instance, floodwater in your basement presents a different set of challenges than floodwater in your living room. In the basement, you are more likely to have more than two inches of standing water, requiring a submersible pump with the ability to lift water out of your home.
What Types of Professional Equipment Does SERVPRO Use for Extracting Floodwater?
- Portable extractors including a built-in heater, pump, and vacuum system to effectively remove water and rinse clean the impacted areas.
- High-velocity centrifugal air movers direct air across the impacted area an angle. Technicians use multiple air movers, placing them every 10 to 16 feet across the wall.
- Technicians position dehumidifiers around the impacted area to deliver dry, warm air around the room while removing excess moisture.
For assistance after a water damage, contact SERVPRO of Garden City/Hempstead any time, day or night, seven days a week at 516-620-4579. We're Faster To Any Size Disaster.
Preventing Summer Storm Damage
Storms can happen in the blink of an eye with little to no warning. If you do not take the time to prepare, the aftermath of the storm can be stressful and costly. Taking the time to address key areas of your home can make a huge difference between staying high and dry or flooded with worry and damages.
Your home is your most valuable asset so don’t get swept away with the summer thunderstorms this season. Take steps now to prevent any rain showers from dampening your mood.
Stormy weather is currently in the forecast and you can use the following tips to help prevent storm damage:
- Purchase supplies you may need if you lose power or water supply for a long period of time. Batteries, flashlights, bottled water, canned food, gas and backup generators are items you should have at all times in your house in case of emergency. Consider buying board games or a deck of playing cards for something for you and your family to do to pass the time.
- Make sure you have the proper insurance plan in place. Check on your policy so you are familiar with what is and is not covered. It is imperative you make sure everything is current.
- Do what you can to secure your property. Seal up any cracks or gaps around windows, doors and check your roof for any broken or loose shingles. Just to be safe, you might consider installing items such as window shutters, garage door braces and roof clips to protect your home as well. While these resources can be costly, they can ultimately save you money in the long run.
- Take care of any trees surrounding your home. Remove any dead branches and trim back any limbs that could become a danger to your house. Overhanging limbs can scrape the roof, damage shingles or bust through windows. All of this could lead to water damage in your home. Properly maintaining your landscape is easy and can do wonders at protecting against storm damage.
- Secure patio furniture and pick up any items such as sporting equipment or lawn items and store them properly.
Got Swept Away With The Storm?
Storms are at times unpredictable and despite precautionary measures, damage can be at times unavoidable. If you find your house damaged from a storm, you can relax knowing SERVPRO of Garden City/Hempstead has your back. Our trained professionals are available 24/7. To contact us or learn more about our services, please call 516-620-4579
SERVPRO of Garden City/Hempstead Can Help Get Your Business Back Up and Running
SERVPRO of Garden City/Hempstead is available 24 hours a day/7 days a week (including holidays) to get your business back up and running. Our expertise includes restoration services for fire and water damage, including electronics restoration and document drying. We are also your business’s best resource for mold remediation. Our services include:
Cleaning and restoring commercial properties requires a unique blend of training, experience, and equipment. SERVPRO of Garden City/Hempstead has the resources and expertise to give you excellent results while minimizing the disruption to your clients. We can help make it “Like it never even happened.” We have experience servicing:
- Small Office Buildings
- Large Office/High-Rise Office Buildings
- Apartment Buildings
- Small Retail Stores
- Large Retail/Big-Box Stores
- High-Rise Residential
- Manufacturing & Industrial Facilities
- Government/Military Buildings
Call SERVPRO of Garden City/Hempstead Today – (516) 620-4579
Understanding Mold and the Remediation Process
Mold growth is a concern for many property owners, but how many homeowners actually understand what mold is? Also, when a homeowner comes across mold, how many understand the protocol for protecting their home and removal of the problem? Thankfully, these questions can be easily answered.
What is Mold?
Mold spores are the microscopic organisms that contribute to the fungal growth that appears on your building's walls, ceiling or floors. There are several types of mold, some are toxic, but others are more common and less harmful. However, every variety can cause significant damage.
What Leads to Mold Growth?
The severity of a mold problem depends on the environmental conditions when the spores root into a surface. If the your home experienced high humidity or water leaks, then mold will probably proliferate, becoming a severe infestation in as little as 48 hours.
Does Mold Removal Take a Long Time?
Mold removal generally takes three to seven days. However, depending on the severity of the infestation and the water damage that caused the initial problem, full restorations may take longer.
Mold growth is a concern for most property owners. However, understanding the fungus goes a long way in easing the anxiety and stress surrounding possible infestations.
Is a Remediation Specialist Necessary?
While some minor infestations may be completed on your own, those individuals who are trained and certified should perform most mold removals. You may want to hire a company, especially when the mold type is considered toxic.
SERVPRO of Garden City/Hempstead has the experience and training to remediate your mold issue quickly and efficiently.
Call today - 516-620-4579!