Preventing Summer Storm Damage
Storms can happen in the blink of an eye with little to no warning. If you do not take the time to prepare, the aftermath of the storm can be stressful and costly. Taking the time to address key areas of your home can make a huge difference between staying high and dry or flooded with worry and damages.
Your home is your most valuable asset so don’t get swept away with the summer thunderstorms this season. Take steps now to prevent any rain showers from dampening your mood.
Stormy weather is currently in the forecast and you can use the following tips to help prevent storm damage:
- Purchase supplies you may need if you lose power or water supply for a long period of time. Batteries, flashlights, bottled water, canned food, gas and backup generators are items you should have at all times in your house in case of emergency. Consider buying board games or a deck of playing cards for something for you and your family to do to pass the time.
- Make sure you have the proper insurance plan in place. Check on your policy so you are familiar with what is and is not covered. It is imperative you make sure everything is current.
- Do what you can to secure your property. Seal up any cracks or gaps around windows, doors and check your roof for any broken or loose shingles. Just to be safe, you might consider installing items such as window shutters, garage door braces and roof clips to protect your home as well. While these resources can be costly, they can ultimately save you money in the long run.
- Take care of any trees surrounding your home. Remove any dead branches and trim back any limbs that could become a danger to your house. Overhanging limbs can scrape the roof, damage shingles or bust through windows. All of this could lead to water damage in your home. Properly maintaining your landscape is easy and can do wonders at protecting against storm damage.
- Secure patio furniture and pick up any items such as sporting equipment or lawn items and store them properly.
Got Swept Away With The Storm?
Storms are at times unpredictable and despite precautionary measures, damage can be at times unavoidable. If you find your house damaged from a storm, you can relax knowing SERVPRO of Garden City/Hempstead has your back. Our trained professionals are available 24/7. To contact us or learn more about our services, please call 516-620-4579