Important steps to take after a fire.
The first and most important step to take after a fire is to make sure that you and your loved ones are safe. Should anyone feel at all ill, it is imperative that you seek medical attention.
The next step is having the Fire Marshall assess whether or not it is safe to be in or near the building in which the fire or smoke damage occurred. Once again, the top priority after a fire is to maintain safety through the entire restoration process. Electrical hazards are common occurrences after a fire and can be extremely dangerous. As well as possible electrical hazards, there are water hazards. The water used to put out the fire creates a prime location for slipping and falling.
As soon as the Fire Marshall declares the building safe then you, as well as your highly trained SERVPRO of Garden City/Hempstead professionals can begin restoration. We maintain the restore versus replace mentality to preserve the items that hold sentimental value, as well as saving you money! The following is a list of what to-do and not-to-do after a fire.
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls, and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery, and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change the HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting SERVPRO of Garden City/Hempstead.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat, or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat, or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if the ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may leave a smoke odor.
SERVPRO of Garden City/Hempstead offers the following services after a fire to make your house a home again.
Contents Restoration: We can dry clean, wet clean, spray and wipe, foam clean, abrasive clean, or immerse clean after we pretest your belongings to see what can be restored to pre-fire conditions.
Move-Outs/Pack-Outs: We offer an organized and efficient move out to provide you with a quicker remodeling process as well as protecting items from further damage.
Electronic Cleanup: We want to protect you from the possibility of hazardous electronics by offering restoration to remove residue and prevent further damage.
Document / Photograph Drying: We can air dry, dehumidify, freeze-dry, vacuum freeze-dry, or vacuum thermal dry your documents to prevent their destruction. We understand that documents are often irreplaceable and we want to provide you with their swift restoration.
Call SERVPRO of Garden City/Hempstead if you need assistance after a fire (516) 620-4579